Assistant Director, Recruitment, marketing & communications
University of Delaware
English Language Institute (ELI)
Newark, Delaware, USA | February 2008 – Present
One of the most respected intensive English programs in the USA. Provides linguistic, academic, and cultural programming and support for international students, professionals, and general language learners.
The University of Delaware won the NAFSA Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization in 2015. The University is ranked among the top 100 U.S. universities.
- Assistant Director, Recruitment, Marketing & Communications 2016 to present
- Assistant Director, Admissions & Recruitment 2008-2016
- Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator 2008
Oversees the ELI Office of Recruitment, Marketing and Communications (ORMC). Acts as liaison between ELI and sponsoring organizations and overseas recruitment agents. Initially was responsible for ELI admissions, recruitment, immigration advising, and various enrollment management duties until department was restructured in 2016 to only focus on recruitment, marketing and communications.
- Oversaw the ELI Admissions Office, including a staff of several full-time and part-time employees, graduate assistants, and student workers
- Responsible for enrollment projection data, upon which major decisions about staffing and operations were based
- Primary liaison with sponsoring organizations for the admissions process and visa-related issues
- Conceptualizing, planning, and executing the recruitment strategy of the ELI (for ESL programs and university preparation programs)
- Managing the ELI ORMC with a budget of $300k to $500k (USD)
- Representing the university overseas (up to 35% travel time per year): planning travel activities for a team of 8 recruiters; participating and presenting in major conferences; planning alumni receptions and special events; participating in recruitment fairs and agent workshops
- Selecting, vetting, training and managing contracts/relationships with over 130 active international recruitment agencies
- Overseeing the ELI’s overseas recruitment offices in China and S. Korea
- Planning and conducting “information sessions” for undergraduate, graduate and ESL program offerings (up to 20 per year)
- Collaborating with various university departments on international recruitment initiatives
- Organizing “fly-in visits” to Delaware for agents/high school counselors
- Oversees ELI’s digital communications, including website content, social media, email campaigns
- Design of marketing collateral and advertising, providing guidance on branding and design
- Member of the University’s Global Recruitment and Retention Committee (2008-2016)
Student Services (2008-2016)
- Advised current/potential students regarding visa regulations, admissions, special programs, ELI policies, etc.; SEVIS DSO
- Interim Housing Supervisor (August 2011 to September 2012): Took on this interim role in the absence of a full-time housing coordinator (in addition to normal workload in Admissions and Recruitment)
- Managed one full-time employee, several Resident Advisors (RAs), and a student worker;
- Reorganized the ELI Housing Office to improve level of service to students, housing partners, and other departments at the ELI and at UD
- Oversaw the housing assignment process and arrival plans for 200-300 students each session; redesigned data management processes and communication plan to improve service level to current/incoming students
Additional professional experience
I have experience in several other areas (and in multiple industries), including:
- Project coordination
- Customer service (including in fast-paced environments, such as an auction)
- Proposal-writing (responses to RFPs)
- Office coordination
- Presentation: “Why a Record Number of South American Students are Studying Abroad;” NAFSA (Assoc. of International Educators) annual conference, Houston TX, May 2012.
- Workshop: “The Use of Social Media in the Context of an IEP;” AAIEP Professional Development Workshop, Washington DC, October 2011.